Sunday 7 February 2016

Boggle

February 7th

Last year I set up a Boggle board in the classroom with the intent that students who are early finishers would have an activity to turn to.  I quickly came to realize the amazing learning that was happening with this "game" and I made it a part of my "word word" in my language arts program this year. The Boggle board letters change each week. Part of the rules are that the letters of a word must appear in order and they must touch, either by a corner or a side.
All students play Boggle and are challenged to find at least 10 words.  I am constantly blown away by the words that the kids are finding in this game.  Some students are able to find a page full of words.  Students are finding more words that I even realized were there.  I am thrilled with the amount of learning that is happening with this simple game.  We keep track of our points each week and try to better our score!

Here are a couple of pictures of our recent game boards and the lists of words that the students came up with.

This one was a Star Wars theme, I had the letters:

J I D H
S E T R
N O O R
C L P E

Here is a picture of the complied list of words that the students found. As a group we compile words from individual student lists on to the chart paper.



This list is complied from the following letters with a Groundhog day theme.

The letters were:

GROU
NIRN
YAED
DGOH

No comments:

Post a Comment